Saturday, October 12, 2013

New Oracle Installation Lockdown


It is my standard practice to turn off services and applications which are not needed.  I do this as an administrative account; however, I regularly run as a non-administrative account, and you should too.

1)        Typically, I remove everything from Windows Start Menu / All Programs / Startup (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup ).

2)        Then I run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and search for Keys that match the whole string “run”, as shown below.  Search the entire registry (find next from top to bottom) and comment applications that need not run (some call this stuff “Crapware”).  Typically, I add “x_” in front of the application command, as shown below.  Note that you may need to research each application listed in order to determine whether or not it is needed on your system.







3)        Finally, I run Computer Management (%windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s) and set any Services that are not needed from “Automatic” to “Manual” startup.

When Oracle 12c is installed, there are several Services that are created, and most of them are set for “Automatic” startup.  On my development workstation, I only start Oracle as needed (as shown below), but even in production environments, several of these Services may not be required at all times – they should be started only as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment